Thursday, March 24, 2011

Hello I am back :)

Oh my I don’t even know the last time I blogged.   Everything has been great! 

Today I blog on a “serious” note.  Not really, but it is to me.

When I was a little girl I ate eggs and milk everyday.  My mother had to get frequent deliveries from the Swan man for me   lol  this is the truth.  I loved to eat fried eggs, omelets. scrambled eggs.  I drank a lot of milk, ate cheese, ice-cream…..but I was always sick and it just got worse and worse.  The doctor told my Mom to cut out the dairy.   Sad smile  So sad for me.  I am not sure if they didn’t have soy milk or other alternatives, but what I mostly remember is being given water and juice instead.  We tried the little bead things that you put on ice cream (not sure what they were called, I was 10 years old) but they didn’t work-too bad too because it was fun getting ice cream in the mornings  lol .  Any way….at that time it was only the milk.  Then it became cheese-which I still ate.  The worst was when I was pregnant with Eric and realized eggs were doing the same thing, but worse!

So basically what I did to fix the problem was to mostly ignore it unless I was at someone else's house.  See the result from eating the dairy is embarrassing and I didn’t want to get sick at someone else's house or on a trip.  Still happened, but I was very careful.

The reason for this message is I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.  It is getting worse and I can no longer ignore what dairy does to me.  I am now on day 2 of being dairy free-well I would be if I had read the dessert label last night ( I now know the difference between sherbet and sorbet).  My stomach is gurgling less and I actually have more energy.  Interesting!  I am going to go shopping tomorrow, by my self, to some new stores to buy some dairy free chesses and other yummy item.  I have two amazing friends and my sister who have given me brands that they use and names of stores that I can find them at.  The big thing to learn is what it is that upsets my stomach.

I was very discouraged but after visiting with them and realizing I live in Portland (we have so many stores within 5-10 miles with these item or more options) I know I can do this.  Now for some trial and error and eating Smile.

I am also looking at my recipes and seeing how I can rework them, so that I am not making 2 meals every time I cook.

This will be a step by step process and will have many errors and mistakes, but I am ready for a change.  Can’t wait to let you know how this all turns out.

No comments: