Friday, April 2, 2010

Planting seeds.

Between the ages of 8 and 11 my family lived in Salem.  Up the road from us lived a wonderful older lady and her husband.  They went to our Church and she was a wonderful friend to my mother.  They would walk together and she was a shoulder for Mom to lean on.  The most wonderful thing was she was a Grandma figure for my sister and I.  She taught us how to sew, make candles, pick apples, and other wonderful things.  She also took us school clothes shopping and helped us make presents for our Mom and Dad.  We loved going to “Grandma’s house”.  Don’t get me wrong, I love my real Grandmothers, but this woman lived only a few houses down from me.  The coolest thing was she chose me.

 

As a mother I prayed for such a woman to be in the lives of my boys.  The Lord answers all prayers.  We bought this home 5 years ago and low and behold there she was.  Right across the street is my boy’s other “Grandma”.  We started with just visiting back and forth.  Finding Easter goodies inside the screen door  after Church.  Christmas presents showing up.  To her showing me how to grow plants and her teaching my boys how to find the tomatoes, carrots, peas and other veggies that she grows.  She then sent over all that they picked because “she like to grow the plants, but can’t possibly eat them all”.  She also has bought them school clothes and enjoys having them pop in and say hello. 

 

Then at the end of  last summer she decided to kick it up a notch.  Now she has 3 large planters in her yard that they are going to grow things in.  She then helped me to did out my dead soil and replaced it with new compost.  Today she took the boys to get  their gardening tools so they can get started.  We are also putting together a strawberry planter.

 

She isn’t the only one giving.  Jason helps her with repairs and other stuff.  I am a listening ear and a “daughter” that she enjoys visiting with.

She is simply a wonderful blessing to my boys and to us.  I praise the Lord and I thank him for his answered prayers.  I have had many adopted Moms, Aunts, sisters, brother, and Grandmothers in my life.  I feel these people are very important and help to for who you are just as much as your family does.

 

All of our needs are full filled even before we ask or know that we have a need.  My boys will remember this for the rest of their lives.

No comments: